[AZ-Observing] Re: negative for me on LCROSS

  • From: "Dan Heim" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 07:42:05 -0700

Excellent seeing here in New River.  Was using my Takahashi 5" at about
250x, and hoping that its reputation for high contrast would make up for the
lack of aperture.  About one minute after the designated impact time I
thought I saw a faint arc of light extending from east to west, but then I
lost it after a few seconds.  Almost like averted vision saw something, but
not when looking directly.  I'll write it off as wishful thinking, until I
see some enhanced images that might correspond to my "imagination."  In
order to keep the image stable, I did not extend the tripod legs (we had a
gusty breeze), so with the Moon almost straight up, I was flat on the ground
to get to the eyepiece.  It was about as steady an image as I could get at
that mag, and I'm still not sure I really saw anything.

Dan Heim