[AZ-Observing] Re: nebula filters

  • From: "Tejera, Rick" <rtejera@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:11:05 -0500

Stan,

I have the Nebula Filter from Sirius Optics ($75.00 from Anacortes). I
tested this against a Lumicon UHC side by side up at Cherry Rd last summer.
The test was in Thad's 15" on the Swan Nebula (M17). I'm going from memory
here so I may miss a few details. As I remember, the Sirrius Optics filter
showed the inner part of the nebula as darker but less defined than the UHC.
Both filters showed the outer nebulosity about the same size but each seemed
to highlight different parts. The UHC provided a noticably sharper contrast,
but the the view in the Sirius optics was not unpleasing. I opted for the
sirius optics filter mainly due to the price difference, but had I had a
crystal ball and foresaw the demise of Lumicon, I probabl;y would've gone
with the UHC. This doesn't mean I'm unhappy with my choice, the Sirius
Optics filter works well, Infact both thad & I agreed the ideal situaion
wouildbe to have both filters aas they seemed to compliment each other well.

If your heading to Flat Iron Saturday, I'll be happy to let you test it.

Clear Skies
Rick Tejera
Editor SACnews
Saguaro Astronomy Club