[AZ-Observing] Re: naked eye Milky Way

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, amastro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 21:31:04 GMT

Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244  I wondered how the rest of AZ was doing with the strangely
bright skies we've been having lately, Steve. Even though the skies have been
fairly bright along the horizon, overhead the transparency has been quite good.
One of the main reasons that I live in Mescal is because I can step out the
back door and see a very nice contrasty Milky Way without having to drive an
hour away. If it's good (or even decent) I just roll out one or both of my
telescopes, the big one for deepsky and the little one for double stars or
planets and the moon. During the nights I look at double stars I merely look at
my Sky Atlas 2000, which I use religiously though its poor cover has recently
come off, and look for double star symbols and star-hop my scope to those
stars. I don't know about the rest of you (many of whom probably use your
electronic programs to point your telescope, though I'm sure there are a couple
of us dinosaurs still around!) but I am disappointed that many times I cannot
resolve the double star that is supposed to be at that location on the chart. I
enjoy the sense of discovery so that I typically don't check to see what the
characteristics (separation and delta magn) of the chosen double star are. Many
times I find that the delta magnitude is the culprit, the secondary being 5-10
magnitudes fainter than the primary and being very close. The seeing has been
marginal lately so that I have not been able to split stars much below an
arcsecond, much less trying to split these extreme stars. They're good tests,
but the seeing has to be very good...
Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)