[AZ-Observing] my letter to the committee studying bill 1218

  • From: "Mozdzen, Tom J" <tom.j.mozdzen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 19:33:49 -0700

Hi All,
Here is what I wrote if anyone needs some ideas. Kudos to Randy P. for
volunteering his time to testify tomorrow in person!
Thank you Randy.
Tom
---------------------
Hello,
Please support SB1218 as this is an area where government can lead by
example. Wasting energy by shining light into the sky not only puts more
money into OPEC's hands, it destroys a natural resource of Arizona -
dark night skies. The night skies can be used for commercial purposes by
our State Universities' astronomical departments and by our tourism
industries. They can also be used by everyday people who go camping with
their families in Arizona. This measure actually will save money for
those who implement the standards as the payback is quick when you only
illuminate the areas you intend to illuminate. It makes no sense to
illuminate the night sky, yet we thoughtlessly do it on a regular basis.
Bills like this can help reverse the trend.

If you look at a map of the U.S. at night from the sky, you will notice
that all of the states east of the Mississippi River have virtually no
areas of dark sky remaining. We do not want to following in the
footsteps of New York and the rest of the east.

Please give this bill your complete support, I follow it closely, and it
is very important to me personally.

Tom Mozdzen

.jpg file show light pollution - notice the alarming glow of Phoenix and
Tucson already.

http://laps.fsl.noaa.gov/frd/laps/albers/slides/ast/places.html