[AZ-Observing] Re: meteorite photographed hitting Earth

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:12:19 -0700

At 20:31 -0700 11/29/04, Sheryl  Gambardella wrote:
>I came on line tonight to ask if anyone else saw the spectacularly bright
>meteor tonight at 7:05 PM... and what are you talking about but meteors! I
>didn't catch this on film, obviously, but saw a very bright "strobe" flash
>on the house wall as I was entering and turned to see another very bright
>green flash and streak ending just above the horizon due south of me. Both
>the first and second were bright enough to cast a shadow. My son who was on
>the north side of the house at the time also called out in surprise from the
>reflected light which he thought was blue. It absolutely was the brightest
>meteor I have ever seen- if it was a meteor and not de-orbited space junk.
>Anyone else see this?
>Sheryl Gambardella

I must have just missed it. I was in my observatory a bit after 7
getting ready to grab a few data points on Algol. It's a lovely, but
cool night tonight. I'm headed out again now for more data and my
nightly epsilon Aurigae observations. I'll be wearing gloves for the
first time in a long time.

On of the big advantages of a roll off/slide off roof observatory is
you get a big view of the sky. I've seen many fireballs that never
get mentioned. Still exciting. I'm sorry I missed the Gambradella
meteor.

Jeff
--
Jeff Hopkins