[AZ-Observing] Re: meteorite photographed hitting Earth

  • From: Joe Orman <joe.orman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:20:34 -0800 (PST)

As Carl Sagan said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."
Until there is some other confirmation (such as a hole in the lamp post), the
evidence is questionable.  I know from experience that often photos do not show
what they seem to show.  But I'll keep an open mind.

--Joe Orman

Kimball Corson <kcorson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Joe,

But really now, why not? Very low probability events do occur. So
infrequently in fact, that assessing their probabilities is extremely hard.
Also, given the distance and human reaction times being what they are, I
would not have expected the photographer to know what he was photographing
at the time. If he did, then I would be more suspicious. A better report
afterwards at the scene of what was observable would have been helpful,
however.

Kimball Corson