[AZ-Observing] meteor shower

  • From: "Ted Forte" <tedforte511@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 10:25:47 -0700

The Camelopardalids turned out to be the Cameloparduds.  I interrupted my
telescope observing to spend two hours (11PM to 1AM MST) to watch for
meteors and counted just 8 and only one of those was a definite
Camelopardalid. That's pretty much the story for everyone observing from SE
AZ (Sierra Vista area).

But after more than a week of high winds and crappy skies it was a thrill to
get out under some pretty good conditions.  It was close to a perfect night
down here.  Good seeing, good transparency, pleasant temperatures.

I took advantage of the steady seeing at low altitude to explore Centaurus.
I haven't often had the opportunity.  As a Virginia transplant, the
constellation was mostly out of reach for much of my observing lifetime.  I
started with Omega Centauri and Centaurus A (of course) and once again was
amazed at the difference 5 degrees of latitude, a little altitude  and some
dry air makes.  I managed to log more than a dozen new (to me) galaxies and
had my first ever look at IC 4406 (the Retina Nebula) which is a very fine
planetary.

Before quitting to watch meteors, I checked in on M106 to attempt a visual
sighting of SN 2014bc.  My results were inconclusive.  There seems to be an
extra component to the galaxy's core but I can't say that I unambiguously
detected the supernova.  (30" f/4.5 at 300x)

Ted Forte
Desert Coyote Observatory 31d 34m N 110d 7m W 4,160ft ASL