[AZ-Observing] looking for an expert to speak to our group

  • From: "Dan Heim" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "AZ Observing" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 15:54:46 -0700

Fellow Stargazers,
DFAC has decided to try and attract more beginners to our hobby with a lecture
series featuring topics of interest to beginners ... buying your first scope,
eyepiece choices, etc.  About one third of our membership falls into the
beginner category, so we try to help them with topics like these (as well as
providing personal attention at members only events).  We're still pushing our
gospel on light pollution, so now we're active on two fronts.

We're looking to find a guest speaker on the topic of "using star charts."
This would include figuring out your field of view for specific
eyepiece/telescope combinations, using reticles or chart templates, finding
north, dealing with field reversal/inversion, etc.  Intended audience is
beginners, some with scopes already, others still looking, probably never used
a star chart or planisphere.

If you're qualified (and I know pretty much everyone on this list is) and
interested, please contact me off list (email on website).  DFAC is still a
small club at 23 members, but we do provide a $20 honorarium for speakers from
the metro Phoenix area.  We meet at the North Valley Regional Library in
Anthem, AZ, 6:30-8:30 pm.  Meeting dates currently available include:  Feb 17,
Mar 17th, April 21st (all Wednesdays).  Thanks!

Dan Heim
President
Desert Foothills Astronomy Club
http://www.dfacaz.org