[AZ-Observing] fun while observing

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 19:07:03 -0700

Howdy all;
Thad Robisson has a great article in the SAC newsletter about enjoying a night
under the stars and not stressing too much about how it turns out.  I am
certainly not the role model for Zen calmness, but I like the article and I
thank Thad for some great thoughts.

I have had some great nights where all I took was a pair of binoculars, a
chair, some warm clothes, food and drink.  It is such a joy to just be out of
town, away from the phone and catching a "star tan".  It is very easy to get in
the middle of collimation, eyepieces, magnification, star charts, electronics
and all the other technology of using a telescope;  then we just forget to sit
down and drink in the ambrosia of the night.  AJ and I have gotten better about
that, I would recommend it to all.  Thanks, AJ, for teaching me that lesson.

A couple of years ago Bob Erdmann and I drove down to Sunglow Ranch, south of
Tucson.  Even though the seeing went from bad to worse and I had some technical
problems with the scope, we had a lot of fun.  A chance to chat with some other
observers, enjoy the sky at low power and visit some old deep sky favorites.
It was a memorable weekend.

I know that this is right out of the Boy Scouts, but "Be Prepared" is the key.
Have a list of things to take and check it twice before driving off to dark
skies.  I do occasionally make my way to the desert alone, but many folks like
a group.  I see both possibilities for a great night.

So, let's have fun;
Steve Coe

Author "Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist"
Saguaro Astronomy Club website
www.saguaroastro.org