[AZ-Observing] fun weekend at Sentinel

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 13:22:43 -0700

Howdy all;

Just a quick note of thanks to all those who showed up at Sentinel for this
weekend.  It was a very fun crowd and the skies really cooperated for
Saturday night.  I pointed out the Gegenschein to several folks and once you
saw it, it stood out very nicely.  Comet Holmes is still putting on a great
show.  I loved the view in my 6 inch refractor with a 27mm Panoptic.  That
"jellyfish" effect is obvious and unique.  Tom Polakis and I saw a very thin
and short tail.  The view in Rick Rotrammel's 11X80 binoculars was
excellent, the comet is a light yellow in color to my eye and brighter "bow
shock" effect in the central section is still visible.

At about 2:00 AM there was a fuel dump by a satellite near the Sword of
Orion.  It was only a little fainter than the comet and a fascinating effect
in a telescope.  Rich Walker put his 13 incher on it and turned off the
drive, then we learned that it was in a geosynchronous orbit.  It remained
naked eye for about 15 minutes or more.

Matt and I had some minor telescope troubles, but we recovered and looked at
some showpieces.  The view of the Double Cluster with the 35mm Panoptic was
terrific.

There were 30 vehicles once it got dark on Saturday night.

Take Care;

Steve Coe