[AZ-Observing] Re: best seeing sites and times

  • From: "Frank Kraljic" <FJKraljic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:03:30 -0700

I remember this being brought up, and it is the most objective visual
measurement of seeing conditions, however just like with magnification
limits on seeing, estimates on double star separation is also limited to the
resolution power of the telescope.  With that said, and I'm sure there is a
simple equation for this, what would be the smallest aperture for
determining sub-arcsecond seeing?

Also of note--and dropping back to the various scales--in my previous post I
planned on comparing the seeing forecast model at:
http://www.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/htmls/seeing_e.html with the night's actual
seeing.  The model predicted a 4 out of 5 on their scale, and for the most
part they were accurate with seeing riding 3-4.  On the 1-10 Pickering
scale, between 11pm and midnight the seeing rated a ~6 and sometimes a 7.  I
was able to observe Jupiter with little softness at 400x, and briefly at
times 560x.

-FRANK