[AZ-Observing] Re: best seeing sites and times

  • From: "William R Wood" <wrwood2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 09:40:11 -0700

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the post.

I was most interested in your seeing score (4 on the Pickering scale;
~400-550x) for Scottsdale since we live fairly close together.  I have not
seen a Pickering scale that uses 4 as a good rating.

The seeing scale that I use is a 10 point "Pickering" scale (1 bad - 10
perfect):

http://uk.geocities.com/dpeach_78/pickering.htm

There are apparently many seeing scales floating around including various
versions of the Pickering scale.  If you have time could you take a look at
the above link and let us know what score your rating of 4 would be on the
10 point scale in the link.

We live on the slope of a long hill and I think my poor seeing is caused by
the cooling air falling downhill past my house.  Is the terrain around your
house flat or hilly.

Regards

Bill Wood
Fountain Hills, AZ