[AZ-Observing] Re: az-observing Digest V14 #151

  • From: Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 12:40:01 -0700

On Fri, 2014-06-20 at 09:07 -0700, Robert Ayers wrote:
> > a delayed monsoon that will extend into
> > autumn (no autumn dry season?) due to warm sea-surface
> >
> Oh no!  :-)
>
> For three years I've listed the two months from mid-Sept to mid-Nov as
> being the best time to visit my Smith Butte site!
>
> Where can I vote for a big monsoon (to end the drought) but confined to 15
> July -- 5 September? :-O
>
> (Thanks for the info posting :-)

Without moving house/telescope, obviously we get the
weather we get, and not much can be done about it.
However, if there are specific observing projects
you have in mind for the autumn sky, it's reasonable
to think about what you can do right now at dawn
in the next two or three weeks in anticipation that
skies might not be consistently good come October.
     I have about 10 nights coming up on the Lowell 0.7-m
telescope in robo mode for photometry, so I'm trying
to figure out how many target stars I can squeeze in
during the last couple hours each night.

\Brian