[AZ-Observing] Re: az-observing Digest V14 #150

  • From: Robert Ayers <astroayers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 10:29:34 -0700

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 10:13 PM, Paul Lind wrote:
> While observing at Ash Fork during the last DOTM we noticed that the
> evening twilight crept slowly northward, reaching a point almost below
> Polaris.  This was long after the end of astronomical twilight, which was
> listed as about 9:20 pm.  The phenomenon is logical since the sun was
> only about 30 degrees below the horizon in the north at its very lowest.
>  I'd never noticed this before in my hundreds of years of observing. (Well
> maybe not hundreds). It's definitely interesting and worth looking for this
> time of year, requiring only a dark site and no light domes in the NW.

I noticed the exact same thing a year ago (June 9 2013). I actually emailed
Brian Skiff and asked "was there a weak aurora last night?"

Brian pointed out that it was near the solstice and that the sun didn't
sink that low.  The "extended twilight" was obvious circa 10:30 MST, but
did not, for me, last all night.  My notes say "At midnight MST I suspect
that the sky in the north is a bit brighter than a twilight free horizon,
but it is not obvious like the NW is at 10:30".  (My northern horizon is a
bit elevated, which complicates this observation.)

(I note that 10:30 MST in Ash Fork is only about 10pm local time, cause the
MST timezone is shifted west -- the centerline for timezone -7 should be
longitude 105, which is over by Albuquerque.)

Bob Ayers
*www.RobertMartinAyers.org <http://www.RobertMartinAyers.org> *