[AZ-Observing] Re: [az-astroimaging] Centaurus A

  • From: Victor Herrero <hubbleed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-astroimaging@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 12:14:50 -0600

Albert, your wonderful images make my day :)
Here is a Hubble images of a central part:
http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/entire/pr2011018a/large_web/
and comments:

"...Resembling looming rain clouds on a stormy day, dark lanes of dust
crisscross the giant elliptical galaxy Centaurus A.
Hubble's panchromatic vision, stretching from ultraviolet through
near-infrared wavelengths, reveals the vibrant glow of young, blue star
clusters and a glimpse into regions normally obscured by the dust.

The warped shape of Centaurus A's disk of gas and dust is evidence for a
past collision and merger with another galaxy. The resulting shockwaves
cause hydrogen gas clouds to compress, triggering a firestorm of new star
formation. These are visible in the red patches in this Hubble close-up.

At a distance of just over 11 million light-years, Centaurus A contains the
closest active galactic nucleus to Earth. The center is home for a
supermassive black hole that ejects jets of high-speed gas into space, but
neither the supermassive black hole or the jets are visible in this
image..."

Thank you
Victor

Dr. Eng. Victor Herrero-Arrieta Ph.D. M.S. Ing.Ind.
http://herrero-radio-astronomy.blogspot.com/   Radio Astronomy Blog
http://herrero-victor.blogspot.com/  Astronomy Blog
http://victorstravelpictures.blogspot.com/  Travel pictures