[AZ-Observing] Re: astro advice needed

  • From: <saguaroastro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 8:37:48 -0700

Stan,

I think Light Pollution would certainly be a relevant topic to add to the c=
urriculum. Discussions on what it is how it can be minimized and its effect=
 on the local Arizona economy would be topics to pursue.

I'll lay odds the kids will want to know all about why Pluto is no longer a=
 planet. I know my daughter still hasn't forgiven the IAU :). At any rate y=
ou mention that you're looking for topics not necessarily covered in the re=
gular texts.  Pluto=E2=80=99s new classification could lead into discussion=
s on the latest discoveries in our solar system.=20

One that would surely whet their appetites would be to talk about the Mars =
Phoenix Mission.  The science will be just coming in when school starts and=
 it has a very solid Arizona Connection. I would think you'd be able to con=
tact someone involved to come up and talk to your students.=20

Peter Smith was recently scheduled to speak at SAC, although a last minute =
conflict came up he sent one of his colleagues, Patrick Woida Who gave a ve=
ry interesting & enthusiastic talk. I'm sure the student would love somethi=
ng like that.

My 0.858800 Bhutan Ngultrum worth.

Rick

---- stanfm@xxxxxxx wrote:=20
>  Looking for advice...
> I have the new opportunity of including 6 weeks or so of astronomy into m=
y middle school classes in the fall.?? I'd like to include some observation=
al component along with the textbook material (after all, we live in Az rig=
ht?).?? So two things... 1.)? In your experience, is there a topic you woul=
d consider a "must cover" in my? few weeks of classes that may or may not b=
e in the standard textbook materials (for example: urban light pollution-- =
not at all mentioned in the texts);?  and,? 2.)? I have a 12.5" Orion dob w=
ith Dob Driver II that I can no longer transport in my small car.? Although=
 I've had many a great star party with it over the years (in fact EVAC stil=
l had a picture of it in the gallery last time I looked) I would love to pa=
rlay or trade it for one or two small dobs (6") that the students could eas=
ily use and transport.? I have a couple equatorial mounted units that requi=
re too much fiddling for their skill level and attention span.? I would lov=
e it if even a co
>  uple students came away with a fascination for astronomy-- many of us ca=
n remember a key experience when we were young that planted a seed-- for me=
 it was looking through a scope and seeing Saturn for the first time one co=
ld October night when we were out trick-or-treating in the neighborhood as =
kids.