[AZ-Observing] Re: an EN RN gn Diffuse Bright Nebula

  • From: "Jones, Jack (AZ75)" <jack.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 10:12:24 -0700

I would have to say this is a reflection nebula due to the fact that a UHC
filter tames it down rather than increases contrast. Also in photographs it
comes out as blue, meaning the colors except blue are absorbed in reflected
starlight. Many nebulae are a combination of types, and 1788 may be emitting
some small amount from hydrogen or oxygen excitation, since there are hot
stars in the vicinity, and remember the center was somewhat luminous in the
UHC.

I think in an effort to more easily classify nebulae, astronomers have
invented this lumping terminology such as diffuse, bright or galactic to be
inclusive of the various types. Descriptive terminology knows no bounds,
however, so spanning 3 food groups is piece of cake.

Jack