[AZ-Observing] Re: ajo observing sites

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:34:30 -0700

I have happily observed from Organ Pipe, about 20 miles south of Ajo as
well as the center of the Pinacate volcanic field on the other side of
the border.  You do get some light annoyingly on the southern horizon
from the resort city of Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point).  Sentinel escapes
this by being further north and west.  But otherwise the area is very
comparable to Sentinel.  The access to sentinel is better without the
many miles of two lane highway and motorhomes doing 45MPH.

See you at Sentinel this winter...

Andrew

chanikva studio wrote:

> I was wondering if there were observing sites in the Ajo area that
> anyone knows of.
>
> It doesn't seem to be much further than Sentinel but looks as though it
> might provide somewhat darker skies.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Campbell

Andrew Cooper