[AZ-Observing] advice sought

  • From: Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 11:31:51 -0700

Fellow Stargazers,
Jim Conley, a member of our club, recently passed away. I know that some
of the Phoenix area astronomers knew Jim. His wife Lynne called and
asked me for assistance dismantling and donating (to a school) or
selling his entire lot of equipment, including his roll-off roof
observatory. I have no idea if the observatory was even designed to be
"moved" and what the value of his equipment might be. The observatory is
located just south of Carefree Highway on Central. You can get an idea
of what would be involved by looking at this photo essay on Conley
Observatory that ran in a 2007 issue of our newsletter:
http://www.dfacaz.org/quidnovi/2007/10-05-2007.html#P6

His wife is going to sell the house and move, and correctly assumes that
having the observatory on the property would not be considered an asset.
If anyone is interested in acquiring Conley Observatory, please contact
me off-list and I'll put you in contact with Lynne. Or if you have any
advice on how I should best proceed with helping Lynn on this, please
let me know. I've been President of DFAC since 2006, but this is the
first time I've been asked to help with something like this. Many thanks.

Dan Heim