[AZ-Observing] Re: Yet another M42

  • From: L Knauth <Knauth@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "bgmiller011@xxxxxxx" <bgmiller011@xxxxxxx>, "az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 09:04:42 -0700

>That is the first time any of my images have been mentioned in the same
>sentence as Hubble.

The way they assign colors to the various filters in the Hubble mosaic yields a
gaudy confused mess and enhances things like the proplyds which just can't be
seen visually.  Yes, the Hubble is infinitely more detailed and enlargeable,
but yours is more "realistic" and spectacular to me.  The central cavity really
pops (so to speak)--like a 3D pac-man where you are looking into the mouth at
an angle.  The trapezium is resolved off to one side as it moves through the
cavity it has made. The long backlit cloud extending down to the left from the
trapezium has that ghastly maroon/gray color that I see in my 25".  In fact,
this image most resembles what I see altogether although the red color is
visually just a rosey hush, the trapezium region is bright livid green, the
fainter outer regions are invisible or have no definition and the cavity
appearance not apparent because the largest eyepiece fields are just too small.
 The Hubble may be better scientific" representation, but yours provokes a real
human reaction.  At least it does in this hominid.

Love it

Paul Knauth