[AZ-Observing] Re: Yahoo Group

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 11:32:45 -0700

As I see this issue evolve, I am certain the yahoo group will be
created. If this is what SAC wants, I have  no quarrel. However, I do
feel Az-Observing has served its purpose well, is working, and I, Jeff,
and Rick has shown being able to post files in yahoo is not by itself a
particular advantage. However, people do like the format of a yahoo
discussion group, although this can and probably will change. Within the
past year or so there were prior discussions of yahoo drastically
changing the format of discussion groups that a lot of people objected
to. I got one page of the new format and it was awful. Since then it
disappeared and never came back, maybe because of the uproar over the
impending change. However that does not say it might not be reintroduced
in the future. And who knows what might happen if Microsoft takes over.
However, whatever happens, it really does not concern me that much, and
I probably said more than I should have on the subject since a yahoo
group to replace Az-Observing is really between SAC members.

The SW-Astrophysics discussion group I created in 2008 was done to
primarily serve as an outlet for the Spectro-photometry meeting that was
held at my house at that time. However, one of the things I also
observed at the time was that there was not a discussion group in
Arizona where one could get answers to more technical questions. This
was another reason for creating the group You might check the
SW-Astrophysics group again, a non-club affiliated group, and see if it
might work for you. There have been changes made to the purpose of the
group since I created it. The original purpose statement was way too
verbose.
Stan