[AZ-Observing] Re: Winter Milky Way - Auriga to Canis Major

  • From: Jeremy Perez <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 12:48:02 -0700

Hi Don, thanks!

I've been thinking of this observation as a sort of work in progress.
There are still some proportions in the star field that need
adjustment, and so much more I could do to refine the structure in
the Milky Way. But I guess I had to stamp it "Rev 1" at some point. :)

I prepared the sketch on 9" x 12" Strathmore 70# Drawing paper using
2H and HB graphite for the stars, and a blending stump and kneaded
eraser for the Milky Way. After scanning, I inverted the drawing,
cleaned up dust & scratches from the scanner glass, and then used
Photoshop to color Aldebaran, Capella and Betelgeuse. I've got a more
detailed, step-by-step description of it coming out in the Jan 2010
issue of Astronomy Now. (since it's a UK magazine, it tends to show
up a few weeks later than normal in US book stores).

In other news: Go snow!*

Jeremy

*no really: "go". :)