[AZ-Observing] Why Is M44 The Beehive?

  • From: "Tom Polakis" <polakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 12:11:30 -0700

I wondered if anybody knows the history behind the naming of M44 as the
Beehive cluster.  Is it because the stars resemble so many bees, or is
there a beehive in there?  I always notice a "V" shape of bright stars
when looking at it through a telesocpe.  Actually, it looks more like a
miniature version of the five main stars of Cepheus.  Is this why it's
called the Beehive?

Tom