[AZ-Observing] Why I Still Star Hop

  • From: Tom Polakis <polakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 09:29:16 -0700

Resistance is futile.  I must weigh in on the GO-TO debate.

First, there are nothing but the loosest 'rules' to the Messier Marathon,
as AJ outlined.  That's how it should be.  If somebody electronically finds
all the objects, it has no effect on whether or not I find them manually.
I am not deprived of a big cash prize because they found the objects more
easily than I did.  The Messier Marathon is just fine.  The 2001 event was
one of the best star parties in the state, and barring clouds, 2003 is
setting up favorably for another record number of perfect scores.

The star-hopping discussion is invariably filled with analogies, so here's
mine.  I like to star hop for the same reason I insist on the window seat
when I fly.  When I make the trip to the Midwest, I like the way the
Southwest ends abruptly in northeastern New Mexico, yielding to irrigated
plains and then forested hills in Missouri and Illinois.  When were not in
the Monsoon, the quality of the sky changes as viewed from over 6 miles up.
 A permanent haze demonstrates why we live in the promised land for
American astronomy.  Now if I could be transported instantly a la Star Trek
to take me there, I'd miss the sights along the way, and lose the sense of
how the country is laid out.  I suppose my baggage would wind up on the
transporter to the wrong city anyway.

I like knowing how the universe is laid out as well.  That incredibly
sparse star field north of Antares through the eyepiece corresponds with
the dark lane extending down from Rho Ophiuchi that's visible behind the
Telrad rings.  Some open clusters in Scutum are right on that sharp western
edge of the star cloud where it meets the Great Rift.  All of the open
clusters in Messiers catalogue are visible with unaided vision, which I
discovered during the 2001 Messier Marathon.  Now on the frequent nights
when I don't have a scope, the naked-eye sky is that much richer.
Constellations and other star patterns repeatedly encountered along my star
hops are like familiar friends.

I really, really don't have anything against electronic means of finding
objects -- I used an NGC-MAX in my backyard when I was using a CCD camera
-- but I think a great part of the observing experience is being lost by
looking down instead of up when you're finding objects.

My two least favorite arguments need to be mentioned, as they come up in
every GO-TO discussion.

In the pro-Telrad/finder camp, we find those who say that the only fun in
observing is finding the object, as if it were some prey that's being
captured.  Faint galaxies are completely uninteresting little smudges.  I
disagree.  If you take the time to learn about galaxy classification and
learn a bit about their intricacies, they are very much individuals.  And
if you really work on the skill of patiently looking, there's detail to be
seen.  Likewise with globular clusters, no two of which are alike.

In the pro-GO-TO camp, there is the argument that technology marches on,
and you're a Luddite if you don't come along.  Again, I disagree.  I still
like making the occasional half-mile walk to the store when the car is
waiting in the garage.  Does that make me a technophobe?  This point is
certainly not true in every case, but GO-TO scopes encourage users to see
the maximum _number_ of objects in a night.  It's consistent with driving
with a cell phone on your ear while busily sorting through the dayplanner.
You "got more done", but I'm not sure this represents an improvement in the
experience.

It's your hobby, and you make the choice.  Electronic pointing has enhanced
the hobby and brought a large number of new people on board, which I
suppose is a good thing.  And there's little to be said for the opinion
that one has "worked" more or paid their dues by star hopping.  But
something is being lost by punching buttons, and I hope an appreciation for
the big picture of the sky doesn't go away in coming years.

Now I'm going to pry myself away from the terminal, and walk to the grocery
store.  I hope the wild parrots are active in the neighbor's palm tree
along the way.

Tom

---

Tom Polakis