[AZ-Observing] What's Happening to Meade

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:21:45 -0700

In the recent issue of S&T I couldn't help being struck by Meade's
sparsity of ads and the numerous ads that have the banner name
Celestron. Meade has a full page ad for the new six inch ETX-LS for
$1300 and then another 1/4 page ad for some of their other telescopes.
In contrast, there were many ads of retailers showing the Celestron
telescopes. If I were in the market now and a novice I would be
influenced to buy Celestron just because of the number of ads. What's
happening? I know Celestron can also make a good telescope, but what is
causing the sudden (relatively speaking) proliferation of Celestron. I
can see two causes: The Celestron telescope has a higher profit margin
(because they are Chinese telescopes)  for retailers and so they are
pushing Celestron, or because of the financial troubles Meade is going
through, maybe there is not enough a supply of their telescopes for
retailers. Any other ideas? Also, do you think Meade has the right
strategy by hanging their hat on the 6" ETX-LS? $1500 for the ACF
version which seems pretty expensive for a 6".
Stan