[AZ-Observing] Re: What do you use to make up an observing list?

  • From: "Ted Forte" <tedforte511@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 08:04:54 -0700

I do something similar, I keep an Excel spreadsheet (bucket list) that is a
composite of many different lists the base of which is the entire NGC/IC
brighter than 17th magnitude and above my horizon and a number of other
catalogs, e.g. the Minkowski PNe, Abell PNe, Abell galaxy clusters, Lynds
Bright nebulae, the best of the MCG, etc. The list also contains the AL
observing programs that I happen to be working on so many objects are
duplicated. When I am satisfied with my observation of an object, it gets
dropped from the list.

Since I can quickly switch from a RA sort to, say, a constellation sort or a
program sort, it is very versatile. I am never without hundreds of visible
targets to choose from at any given observing session. I then go where the
spirit, and these days the cloud patterns, take me.

While I have an extensive library, I find I seldom refer to books for my
observing lists, almost exclusively using Sky Tools 3 to query catalogs and
add to the Excel spreadsheet.

Ted Forte