[AZ-Observing] Re: What do you use to make up an observing list?

  • From: "Steve Bell" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "SteveB0513@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 09:03:55 -0600

Steve,
For some out-of-state input from a former Phoenician and EVAC member, I use
Astroplanner for DB extracts and Sky Safari
for a planetarium program. I don’t use a lot of hard copy books with
observing lists anymore.

1. Use Astroplanner to extract, based on mag, dec, … , from various DB’s
(SAC, NGC, IC, …)
a. Export CSV file for Excel and Sky Safari observing list
b. Load Sky Safari observing list into iPad and into Sky Safari on Mac
c. Create Excel file for observing list, if desired.
2. For GOTO use, I have an ad hoc WiFi node on my Celestron AVX mount (C9.25)
and generally
control the mount with the iPad and Sky Safari (much larger DB than
Celestron’s). All I have to do
is connect (wireless) from iPad to telescope, select the object from the
list and “GoTo’.
3. For Dob use, just use the charts.
4. The Sky Safari observing lists are sortable by many standard criteria
(constellation, mag, …).

While I do work AL lists, I have gotten more into generating custom lists based
on observing site,
which scope I plan to use and what I want to look at.

Sky Safari is owned by Simulation Curriculum and Astroplanner is a lone
developer (iLanga) in the Seattle area.
Note that Sky Safari is not available for Windows platforms, just Mac OS, iOS
and Android (all UNIX/Linux based).

Steve Bell
Boise Idaho
AL Master Observer #89

Sent from my iMac

On FridayApr 3, 2015, at 11:01:42 PM, stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Howdy all;

Well, I am working on the 2ed edition of Deep Sky Observing and I need
some input, please.

In the first version I spent some time talking about using Burnham's and
one or two other resources that are now out of print to create an
observing list.

So, my question is "what source to you use to create an observing list?"

I know some of you are working on a list from the Astronomical League
and some are using the SAC lists that AJ and I created all those years
ago. Do any of you use the handpaddle of your GOTO system to create a
listing to what to see? How about a planetarium program?

Anyone using a specific book as a source? Please provide name and
author.

Thanks for any input you can provide;
Steve Coe