[AZ-Observing] Re: What do you use to make up an observing list?

  • From: Ken Reeves <kreeves5@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 07:33:57 -0700

For a list that I never intent to complete, I made a list of everything
from the following sources (down to about -50 degrees, I think)
NS = The Night Sky Observers Guide (3* or better)

M = Messier

H = Herschel 400 list

H2 = Herschel 400 list #2

S = SACs Best 110 NGC Objects

S2 = SACs Beyond the NGC

B = Burnham's Celestial Handbook

C = Caldwell

LS = Luginbuhl and Skiff Observing Handbook and Catalogue of Deep-Sky
Objects

On a given night, I can pick and choose based on what I feel like, which
areas of the sky are clear, which scope I have, or other factors.

I have found this really useful.

Anyone interested, I can E-mail you a copy off-line, it is a word
document about 4 Meg.

I can guarantee that it has errors :-)

Ken

On 4/3/2015 10:01 PM, stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Howdy all;

Well, I am working on the 2ed edition of Deep Sky Observing and I need
some input, please.

In the first version I spent some time talking about using Burnham's and
one or two other resources that are now out of print to create an
observing list.

So, my question is "what source to you use to create an observing list?"

I know some of you are working on a list from the Astronomical League
and some are using the SAC lists that AJ and I created all those years
ago. Do any of you use the handpaddle of your GOTO system to create a
listing to what to see? How about a planetarium program?

Anyone using a specific book as a source? Please provide name and
author.

Thanks for any input you can provide;
Steve Coe