[AZ-Observing] Re: What do you use to make up an observing list?

  • From: L Knauth <Knauth@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 11:45:22 +0000

Things look best on the meridian. I printed out the SAC database to mag 12
sorted by RA visible from our latitude. I check the sidereal time, go to an
hour earlier on the list and begin. If the sky isn't so good, I stick with the
brighter objects. If I'm in the mood for planetaries, globulars, etc, I just
skip to the next best one. I also have a RA sorted list of interacting
galaxies I got off the web that goes down to magnitude whatever. Those are
fascinating in a 25", even down to mag 15. Of course, I skip objects that are
low in the south except on superb nights. Also skip objects I have already
seen unless they have exclamation points. But I always just look at whatever
whenever. Will sometimes slew to a showpiece after a long run of "Faint wisp,
not great" objects just to get inspired. "Take a nap" is an unwritten option
after every object.

You asked.

Paul Knauth