[AZ-Observing] Re: What do you use to make up an observing list?

  • From: Ken Reeves <kreeves5@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 17:43:29 -0700

Paul,
On my mega-list (for lack of a better name), I have it printed out and
in my notebook that I always bring out with me. I sort it by
constellation, then each constellation by NGC number (or other catalog
if not an NGC object). Here's an example from Andromeda (hopefully this
will go across the list server):

*Andromeda*

Object

Type

Source*

10"

20"

Abell 262

GG

S2

NGC 205 (M-110)

GA

NS (5*), M, H, B, LS

NGC 206

OC/GN

H2

NGC 214

GA

B, LS, H2

NGC 221 (M-32)

GA

NS (4*), M, B, LS

NGC 224 (M-31)

GA

NS (5*), M, B, LS

NGC 252

GA

NS (3*)

NGC 404

GA

NS (3*), H, B, LS

NGC 513

GA

H2

NGC 708

GA

NGC 752

OC

NS (4*), H, C, B, LS

NGC 753

GA

B, LS

NGC 7640

GA

NS (4*), B, LS, H2

NGC 7662

PN

NS (4*), S, C, B, LS

NGC 7686

OC

NS (4*), H, B, LS

NGC 891

GA

NS (4*), H, S, C, B, LS

NS = The Night Sky Observers Guide (3* or better)

M = Messier

H = Herschel 400 list

H2 = Herschel 400 list #2

S = SACs Best 110 NGC Objects

S2 = SACs Beyond the NGC

B = Burnham's Celestial Handbook

C = Caldwell

LS = Luginbuhl and Skiff Observing Handbook and Catalogue of Deep-Sky
Objects

By having the printed copy in my notebook, I can check it off when I
observe it and have it right there.

When I get back from observing, I type in my observations into a
different word document, and scan in any drawing(s) that I've done. I
keep my list and my observations in different files.

I haven't yet attempted to electronically link the drawings and the
observation notes, I just look at the date to correlate them.

Very simple and rudimentary, but it works well for me.

Ken

On 4/5/2015 2:54 PM, Paul Lind wrote:

Hello all,

I've been enjoying this thread and would like to hear more about long term
computer logging of observations. I've been using Excel for the Herschel II
list, but that's a straightforward and fixed list. What do you do when a
single object is numbered differently in several different catalogs. Also,
how do you log several observations of the same object over a long time
period (and perhaps under different names)?

Also, in Excel, I've accidently destroyed an entire log file while
re-sorting, so I've learned to always save a golden reference copy.

Paul Lind