[AZ-Observing] Re: What do you use to make up an observing list?

  • From: Ken Reeves <kreeves5@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 17:25:29 -0700

Steve/all,

One of the things I like about a large list that I don't plan on
finishing is that there's a lot of flexibility.

I always hate it when I have a observing list for the night just to find
out that that section of the sky is clouded out. With this, if Leo is
clouded out but it's clear to the south, I can observe in Hydra and have
a list of object already printed out.

The other thing with a large list is there is a lot less pressure. When
I was working the Best of the NGC or the Herschel 400, I always felt a
pressure to hurry up and get the list done, especially before they
disappeared for the season. Not that there's anything wrong with this,
but it sure has been nice to just relax and not worry about what I have
to get done for the night. If I don't feel like looking at galaxies, I
can easily move to an area of the sky and look at open clusters.

The most important thing is to find what works with you.

Ken

On 4/4/2015 10:42 PM, stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

First of all, a big "Thank You" to all who replied.

Joe Goss, I am NOT writing a book in 60 days--just a 2cd edition. I
will let you know how that works out. I know lots of other Guide users.

Jimmy Ray, I will ask the author of Celestial Portraits if I can include
a reference;-)

Paul Knauth, I am happy to hear that folks are still using the SAC data.
When you have finished the 10,000 objects that AJ and I included let me
know.

Beevo, I know of Celestial Harvest and the author is quite the expert on
double stars.

Ken Reeves, that is certainly a massive list. It would take a lot of
aperture to get at those objects.

Steve Bell, I know of several club members who are Sky Safari users and
like it very much. I have plans to get a 9.25 incher for my CGEM. Send
me an email off list I would like your input.

Ted Forte, I have a copy of Sky Tools 3 and just have not made the time
to learn it. I will need to finish this project first. That is
certainly a big Excel datasheet.

Again, thanks to all who sent in info;

Steve Coe