[AZ-Observing] Re: Welding

  • From: Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 09:39:30 -0700

Well I just had cataract surgery last year. Never used an arc welder,
but in high school I played around with carbon arcs a lot, just because
they were a cool thing to experiment with, not to mention easy to do if
you just pulled the carbon rods out of some D-cell batteries. I never
wore any eye protection (ahhh ... the follies of adolescence). Cause and
affect? Can't say for sure, but no one else in my family has had any
problems with cataracts. JD is right about the UV emission of carbon
arcs, and an arc welder is WAY brighter than my "toy" arc. So most
definitely seek some eye protection that is rated for arc welding.

Dan