[AZ-Observing] Re: Weekend observing

  • From: Michael Collins <cal_donley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 18:17:28 -0700

Jeff Hopkins wrote:
> Friday night I spent part of the evening in Gilbert at the GRCO with
> Gene Lucas. We used the observatory's 16" LX200 to do some infrared
> photometry of epsilon Aurigae with my SSP-4. The data looks very
> good. I tried seeing Comet Holmes with a pair of binoculars from the
> GRCO. I could see no trace of it.

   I was able to see the comet from my residence in south Chandler last
Wednesday evening.  Friday night, I drove down near Sonoita to attempt
an asteroidal occultation observation, and from there it remains a
prominent naked eye object.  It extends beyond the 1.1 degree field of
my 32 mm Ploessl/135 mm Maksutov combination.  I got my best view of it
in the 7x50 finder.

   I'll be interested to see how it looks after the Moon is out of the
evening sky again in a couple of weeks.

                                -- Mike --
--
cal_donley@xxxxxxx