[AZ-Observing] Weekend Observing Summary

  • From: BillFerris@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 11:40:09 -0400

Like most of the state, Antelope Park was treated to some outstanding observing
conditions this weekend. After several days of totally cloudless skies, Friday
saw the formation of afternoon cotton puffs over the San Francisco peaks and
along  a line trailing to the southeast. However, skies were almost totally
clear by twilight with only the faintest wisps visible along the horizon to the
north.

These conditions continued through the weekend with Saturday afternoon's clouds
appearing somewhat more threatening but clearing just as predictably after
sunset. In fact, I'd rate Saturday night's transparency slightly improved over
its predecessor, the Milky Way having had just a tad more punch to it.

I've not finished my sketches and written up notes on the weekend's
observations, just yet. But I wanted to share a few highlights. First, was NGC
6302 (aka the Bug nebula), which appeared distinctly elongated with curving
tips at each end in my 10-inch at 190X. Palomar 8, a globular cluster in
Sagittarius, was much larger and brighter than I had anticipated. I'd assumed
this would be a challenge object because of the designation. But it was really
quite trivial to see in the 10-inch. And finally, Mars showed some reasonable
detail in OK seeing at about 2am Sunday morning. The south polar hood was, of
course, the most prominent feature. This was bordered by a dark ring. Syrtis
Major and the Hellas impact basin were obvious but the seeing wasn't good
enough to pick out any more subtle features.

I've 12 sketches from the weekend to finish and will post the links once
they're up on my website.

Regards,

Bill Ferris
Flagstaff