[AZ-Observing] Re: Weekend Observing

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:36:11 -0700

One thing I forgot to mention.

Arcturus and Antares were brilliant/fiery orange.

Arcturus in particular was nearly directly overhead and very striking
to the naked eye. In fact I had to check a star chart to be sure that
was what i was seeing. It does not look anything like that from
Phoenix.

Brian is used to the dark clear high altitude skies of Flagstaff so I
don't know if he can appreciate the vast contrast between the seeing
in Phoenix and his area. I think you can easily get spoiled in these
high altitude dark sky areas. In addition, it will be hovering around
110 most of this week in Phoenix while a cool 70 to 80 in the
highlands. Even at night it can stay in the hundreds at midnight  in
my observatory here in Phoenix. Not a joy for observing. At least
there are no bugs. I should take Stan's advice and move to Spruce
Mountain, at least make it my summer place.

I'm looking forward to Stan's Deep Impact Pot Luck star Party on the
3rd. While a half a mile lower than my cabin, it is much easier and
quicker to get to and the skies are on par with what I see at my
cabin.

Jeff

--
Jeff Hopkins
HPO SOFT

  Small minds speak about people * Average minds speak of events
************   Great minds speak of ideas!    ****************