[AZ-Observing] Re: Weekend Observing

  • From: Brian Skiff <Brian.Skiff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:53:01 -0700 (MST)

>>  The sky Saturday was a deep blue during the day.

     The wind changed a bit late last week, so the smoke that had
been present regionally had blown somewhere else, so we didn't have
much crud (that's the technical term) in the lower troposphere.
In the last 24 hours the winds have been more southerly, so it's
very cruddy this evening.

>>  The moon was exceptionally bright.  The moonlight was
>>  brighter than I have ever seen it up there....

     The old-same Moon of course, but contrast makes a lot of difference
to the eye.  The amazing (and deeply satisfying) thing in the last
several nights has been _after_Moonset_ right up into morning twilight,
about 3.30a.  I've just been gaga staring at the sky then.  I mean,
the rational facts are easy enough to describe, but there's some
psychological thing about having the Milky Way dead overhead (set your
desktop planetarium for 20h sidereal time), the early-winter constellations
just about to come up (the Pleiades just up during twilight),
the dead silence at Anderson Mesa, the first bird twittering in the
distance...  can't even pretend to explain it.

\Brian