[AZ-Observing] Re: Web Sites

  • From: "Laurel" <laureldunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 23:55:05 -0700

Wooooooohh!   Now that's a really cool educational animation.  Thanks for
locating this Andy!  If anyone would have known, I could have guessed that
it might be Andy and Deb Cooper.  Mike also says thanks.

At the 10 micron level of the Oak leaf, the "cells" shown are highly
specialized structures known as stomata. For those who would like to know,
stomata are what could be visualized as the "lungs" of plants. They are
critically important to transference of CO2 and O2 throughout
photosynthesis.  The stomata also regulate transpiration where most of the
water we feed leafy plants keeps the stems and leaves upright and open, not
wilted, and thus>>> they become the magnificent solar/photon collectors that
they are! ...not to mention, ultimately constructing the myriad of
micronutrients needed to keep not only themselves [the plants] healthy, but
also, hmmmm shall we say... night shift workers and/or observational
astronomers a bit more healthy. :)

Stomata are largely underrecognized by the general public as vitally
important plant structures.  For those who might want a bit more information
on just how important stomata really are to all of us, go to:

http://www.accessexcellence.org/AE/AEC/AEF/1994/case_leaf.html