[AZ-Observing] Re: Web Cam Mods: Was 2004 All Arizona Messier Marathon

  • From: "Gene A. Lucas" <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:44:34 -0700

This is getting pretty far O-T for the AZ "Observing" List, but I would
like to add "my two cents" and then discuss this OFF-LINE (if anybody
else is still reading!!).

I COMPLETELY agree with Jack that modifying the TINY!! circuitry on any
modern electronics device using Surface Mount Technology (SMT) is NOT
for the clumsy, inexperienced, or faint of heart!!  You need a steady
hand, some optical magnification, and specialized knowledge to succeed.
Not to mention the issues of protecting the circuitry from static
discharge.

Now, SOME experienced technicians (like myself, 15+ years in radar and
avionics) and maybe SOME professional electronics engineers... MIGHT be
willing to tackle a project like modifying a CCD cam, as an experiment,
but with NO GUARANTEES.

There is some info and discussion about adding manual gain mods to the
tiny-weeny Supercircuits cameras -- PC-23C and PC-164C models (ask me
about it, OFF-LINE, please) on the IOTA e-groups, and a fellow in
California (Sandy Bumgarner) is willing to do it for a small charge --
his pix and instructions are on the web.  BTW, this kind of mod will
DEFINITELY blow off any warranty on the device!!

Sure as shooting if somebody sez "This is a piece of cake, go for it!"
there WILL be somebody who tries it with a slobbering iron about the
size of a baseball bat and then you'll never hear the end of the
griping!

And nobody on this thread has even mentioned the issues of dew formation
after you install a Peltier cooler on your cam.  Howareya gonna seal it
up??  Lower the temp below the dew point (which you WILL haveta do to
get the noise down!!) and watch your chip fog over if you don't seal it
up.  If it was that easy, you could just but the whole damn camera in a
zip-lock bag with some dry ice, right??  (((WRONGGGGGG!!!!)))

Good luck, try it and let us know how it comes out!!

Last word on this from me on THIS list, promise!!
No flames, please, everybody is entitled to their own opinions.

Gene Lucas
(17250)
These are MY opinions, get some of your own.  Don't try this stuff at
home, your mileage may vary.