[AZ-Observing] Re: Web Cam Mods:

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:03:28 -0700

At 08:16 -0700 12/15/2003, Steven Dodder wrote:
>Jack,
>   You DO know someone with SMT experience-namely me.  From installation to
>modifications, I've done it for years at my ex-job.  Patience, a steady hand
>the proper tools and confidence are all that's required.
>
>Jeff: You're right about the mods.  I never doubted your ability to make
>them.  You can do it if you know how, but as Tom says, you won't rival
>modern CCD images.  I did follow the links you posted.  Yes, they're
>impressive _for a webcam_ as I said before.  But Tom's assessment is
>accurate.  Resolution, dynamic range and sensitivity suffer.  Planetary
>images are very, very impressive, but it's done in post exposure processing,
>and sensitivity isn't an issue.  I admire your optimism, but a small dose of
>reality is a good thing, too.  My remark about blind optimism was not aimed
>at mking the mods, but at the resulting improved results.

Whether the webcam images rival the best of the high end CCD images
is really subjective. My pictures are always better than yours and
your pictures are always better than mine. Who really cares. Of what
value are the images to anyone but ourselves to stroke our egos?  Now
that's fine as it's our hobby and we enjoy doing this. Just as going
out some hundreds of miles and sitting in the cold darkness looking
at fuzzy objects (which I do too) might seem to some as bordering on
a mental illness, it is just as with many hobbies, something you do
that you enjoy.

The webcams, stock or modified, provide an extension of that at a
cost most can afford. In fact, using these can actually push the
envelop. Just as the early days of HAM radio. We were amateurs, not
professionals, but when I became a professional, I noticed most
professionals still had a copy of the Amateur Radio Handbook. Many
advances were made with home built and very low end equipment. I
think the same will be true with the webcams.

What is wonderful about the webcams is you do not have to make any
mods and you can still get fantastic images. By making mods you can
push the envelop even further. And there are multiple stages of the
mods from simple (adding a small fan) to most complex (changing the
CCD chip). It is an exciting time for those wishing to do deep sky
imaging and who's budget is nowhere close to allowing a high end CCD
camera.

This is mainly for fun. You can maximize your fun with a webcam. Why
not give it a try. Anyone who says you can't is just not in the loop.

BTW, by taking hundred or thousands of shots, filter, stacking and
processing the images (with software) you can improve the resolution,
sensitivity and dynamic range. There are many tricks available.

Jeff

--
Jeff Hopkins
HPO SOFT