[AZ-Observing] Re: Weather in AZ

  • From: "Bernie Sanden" <bsanden@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 23:04:55 -0700

OK, since Tom alluded to it in this thread, I've just finished uploading
onto my PBase site a few charts based upon my original analysis of Brian
Skiff's Flagstaff cloudiness data.  I used Brian's nightly data from
January 1980 thru June 2004 and for these purposes the general
conclusions should be more-or-less consistent with Phoenix, Prescott,
Grand Canyon, etc.

The punchline is that there are small differences in cloudiness by day
(night) of week, but obviously nothing statistically significant...the
data for all the nights are well within two sigma of the mean.  When I
showed the charts at the astro club meetings back around 1996, I only
had 17 years of data or so.  Back then, Wednesday won out.  Well, with
24.5 years of data crunched, Wednesday still reigns as the best night
overall.  Again, there's nothing statistically different about Wed or
any other night, but useful in bar bets.  Of course, if you're betting
about this kind of stuff in a bar, you have bigger problems than clouds
ruining your observing weekend.

I also uploaded to the site a pie chart breakdown by sky condition
[photometric (clear), partial, spectroscopic, and cloudy].  Check
Brian's site for an explanation of each.  It's been over three years
since I've been able to get back to entering and re-analyzing Brian's
data, but I'm about due.  It would be rather easy to check if for the
last year we've had abnormal cloudiness for Fri and Sat nights. I'm not
doing it tonight though.

The charts are at the following link:

http://www.pbase.com/bsanden/flagstaff_cloudiness

Now go win some bets,