[AZ-Observing] Re: Weather in AZ

  • From: stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:17:14 -0700 (MST)

I too have been in Arizona a long time like Keith, since around 1958 or
1959. Yes, the skies are not what they used to be. Keith, with respect to
the forest controlled burns, pollution, etc., that is affecting your
seeing in Alpine, I am surprised that it is doing so - at Alpine. When I
return from my NM lot it is extremely clear all the way into the Arizona
border to Springerville. I can detect some increase in haziness once I get
close to the border or just cross it. I return by way of Show Lo, Payson,
up the Rim  and down into Campe Verde. When I make the decline from the
rim into Camp Verde is where the pollution is really evident. It is really
thick and bad, every time I have made the trip. Some say it is because of
forest burns, but if it is then it is something that seems to be a
permanent feature of our seeing now. I am certain, though, that a lot of
it is also just plain old pollution from non-forest fire sources.

Since this change in atmospheric conditions portends to be a permanent
thing, it might be time to take on another hobby in addition to observing
when the skies aren't good. Might I suggest the study of Lepidoptera.
Seeing conditions make no difference to them and the rain we have been
having will make things even better. Steve C., might I suggest you join my
discussion group, DesertLeps, at
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/DesertLeps/
(-:
Stan