[AZ-Observing] Re: *%&$# Weather....

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:47:23 -0700

Given the importance of the moment, with the Mars opposition to miss if
the clouds rolled in, I took my new 4mm Radian to Oregon and used it
first in Portland on the theory that it couldn't do any damage there.
They had beautiful blue skies when I arrived and were still suffering
the tail end of a heat wave, but the rains moved in the day we flew out.

This must have been successful as no clouds threatened after using it
for half the night of the 27th.  We had a nearly cloud free veiwing
session on the UofA mall and at least a thousand viewers. with plenty of
scopes... two dome mounted scopes and about thirty portables. I
understand the lines for the 21" and the 16" were over and hour long,
never mind the view was just as good in the better portable scopes with
a wait of maybe 5 minutes. Several moments of very good seeing (8?)
around 2330 to 0000.

This Saturday we are setting up at the Flandrau Planetarium again with a
football game going on, it is going to be mayhem when that stadium
empties out a block away around 2200, guranteed crowds for a public star party.

Andrew

--

Andrew Cooper
Tucson, AZ