[AZ-Observing] WDS J14171+0103A (was Re: Comet Catalina)

  • From: Michael Collins <cal_donley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 18:15:08 -0700

On 12/18/15 16:44, Brian Skiff wrote:

Right, the fixed orientation and large motion
essentially guarantee they're physical. But yes,
the notional orbit would be tens or hundreds of
thousands of years.

Checking several of the references provided by SIMBAD, I cannot find a
parallax for either component of this pair. It would seem likely that
there should be an entry in the Hipparcos catalog, but if so, I don't
know how to find it. Is it correct to conclude that stars in the Tycho-1
catalog which have a blank value on the "HIP" line are omitted from the
Hipparcos catalog? Both components are well above the nominal 11th
magnitude threshold for Hipparcos, thus it seems odd that a parallax
value was not determined.

Richard: Out of curiosity, where would one find the individual
measurements published over the years? I presume you did not have to
find each of the original papers referencing the pair since 1828.
--
cal_donley@xxxxxxx