[AZ-Observing] Re: W32/Netsky Virus

  • From: Andrew Goodwin <a.goodwin1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 19:53:04 -0400

  How cox.net works.....

All messages sent to Cox Customers' email accounts on the cox.net domain (i.e.
ending with '@cox.net') will be checked for viruses before being delivered to
the customers' inbox or Webmail.

If a known virus is detected within an email, the service removes the infected
attachment. The rest of the message is then delivered along with a notification
stating the infected attachment was removed.

If an infected attachment is detected but cannot be removed, the service will
delete the entire email message and send a notification to you explaining the
email has been removed. The email notification message will be sent from Cox
Virus Monitor.

If an email message you send contains an attachment infected by a virus the
message will not be delivered to its destination. This will help prevent virus
from spreading to your friends and family. You will be notified that the email
message was not sent to its destination.

Please note that Cox does not read the content (text) of your email messages.
This automated solution only detects known viruses.

> From: "Chuck" <astrogeoc@xxxxxxx>
> Date: 2004/05/06 Thu PM 01:24:59 EDT
> To: <evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> CC: "AZ Observing" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [AZ-Observing] W32/Netsky Virus
>
> From Cox Communications: An email was sent to you that we have identified as
> containing a virus.  Below find the details of the infected message:
> From: mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date:  Thu, 6 May 2004 12:55:28 -0400
> Virus Name: W32/Netsky.p@MM!zip
> Infected Attachments: 0000031b.EML, /details05_astrogeoc.zip
>
> From: mfarris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date:  Thu, 6 May 2004 12:58:13 -0400
> Virus Name: W32/Netsky.p.eml!exe
> Infected Attachments:
>
> If anyone has these above email addresses in their address book it would be a
> good idea to check your computer for this virus.  It is getting a bit
> ridiculous that this is occurring daily now for the last two weeks.  It is
> quite simple to run a virus scan on a computer and get rid of it.
>
> I know others are having the same problem on these lists.  So someone out
> there is unaware of the virus being in their computer.
>
> Chuck

Andrew Goodwin