[AZ-Observing] Re: Video Astronomy

  • From: "Joe Macke" <joe01@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 08:02:56 -0700

>If you want to record asteroid occultations, the Super Circuits PC164C is
>the inexpensive way to go, at about $130.  Black and white only.  Plugs
into
>a VCR recorder or video camera if it has an external jack for same.
>Astrovid B&W version is slightly better perhaps than the PC164C, but at
>about $600 for a slight improvement, it's your choice.  Don't know too much
>about the color version.

I have a PC164C, don't forget to consider that you'll need a 12V battery to
power the camera (marine, deep-cycle is recommended, about $50,) some kind
of monitor and VCR to record (I've got a combo that was $99.) and means of
powering the monitor/VCR (inverter and same battery, another $99.)  Also,
the cabling.  I made the power cable for the camera, I don't know if you can
buy one.  You can dispense with the inverter if you're only going to
vid-observe from home or a powered site, and the battery can be less capable
under the same circumstances.  Also, for asteroid occultation work, you'll
want a shortwave radio to receive WWV or WWVH and a cable to get its audio
to the VCR  (I have a $29 cheapo that has marginal performance, probably
just needs an inexpensive antenna addition.)  Tax, title, dealer prep not
included.  Your mileage may vary.

Joe