[AZ-Observing] Re: Video Astronomy

  • From: "Randy Peterson" <rgpeterson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:07:45 -0700

I agree with Jeff's comments.  If you want to image the brighter planets in
color, the Phillips ToUcam Pro is THE way to go.  Price is good, results are
good.  You plug into the USB port on your laptop.  Mine uses about 130meg of
disc space for one 30 second video, which can be stacked into a ~1 meg
photo.

If you want to record asteroid occultations, the Super Circuits PC164C is
the inexpensive way to go, at about $130.  Black and white only.  Plugs into
a VCR recorder or video camera if it has an external jack for same.
Astrovid B&W version is slightly better perhaps than the PC164C, but at
about $600 for a slight improvement, it's your choice.  Don't know too much
about the color version.

If you want deep sky images, you are out of my league, cause you want a CCD
camera.  Others can certainly give you opinions on which one to get.

Hope this helps.

Randy Peterson