[AZ-Observing] Re: Very good night at Antennas-Moving to Messier Marat hon site

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 03:21:12 GMT

15480 Empire Rd.
Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244

We had a very good Sunday night here, too. I had a somewhat hazy night on
Saturday, though the skies were quite good at a HAC star party I attended at
Karchner Caverns about 10 miles away. There was a bad fire south of Patagonia
that I happened to be downwind from, but appears to have skirted around the
Whetstone Mts where Karchner is located.

Anyway, last night, after splitting a few close doubles with my 13-in, I began
concentrating on galaxies with my 25-in and was pleasantly surprised by the
crisp stellar images of the big scope. I had a great time scanning around the
Hydra I cluster. I call this one the Waterfall Cluster since it looks like the
member galaxies, which are of all shapes, sizes, and orientations, are falling
over a precipice formed by two bright stars. The SkyAtlas 2000 charts four
objects, while the Uranometria 2000 shows many more. I saw about 40 galaxies
and spent about 90 minutes with my eye glued to the eyepiece admiring the view.
After that I scanned along the Markarian Chain of galaxies (with many detours)
in the Coma-Virgo area.

We had a persistent, but manageable breeze, and the temperature was very
comfortable. I started to nod at about 3am and regrettably headed for bed.

Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)