[AZ-Observing] Re: Venus and Jupiter in morning sky

  • From: SaguaroAstro@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 18:05:11 EST

As I've said before the one advantage of leaving for work at 0430, is the
opportunity to see things like this that I would otherwise sleep through. I've
been watching the two planets approach each other fro about a week now. Just
as  I figured, today when I got into work, at least two people asked, "What are
 those two stars in the sky?". Apparently people were calling all the radio
stations as well (I had a CD in). Seems like none of the DJ's knew either. Go
figure.

Clear Skies

Rick Tejera
Editor SACnews
Saguaro  Astronomy Club
Phoenix,  Arizona
SaguaroAstro@xxxxxxx
www.saguaroastro.org

In a message dated 11/4/2004 07:58:58 US Mountain Standard Time,
tpolakis@xxxxxxx writes:

We have  been up the past three mornings to watch the two bright planets.
Even in the big city, the sky has been remarkably transparent.  It  took a
while to figure out that the nearby star is Gamma Virginis.   Today was the
first day that both planets could be contained in the same  50x field of
view in the 10-inch.  All the scene needs is a crescent  moon, but as Joe
pointed out, that's still a few days  away.

Temperature in the back yard was 32F yesterday and 35F this  morning.  The
outside of the eyepiece case was soaking wet this  morning, and covered in
frost  yesterday.

Tom