[AZ-Observing] Re: Venus Transit Tomorrow: live web broadcasting

  • From: "Tom Polakis" <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Reply-To:az-observing"@freelists.org
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 09:47:16 -0600

Herve Dole wrote:

> if you cannot see directly the Venus Transit tomorrow,
> a few websites are broadcasting live the event. Here is
> my biased selection...

Thanks, Herve.  It will be fun to watch the transit, even if only
virtually.  I was wondering if the transit times from the perspective of
the SOHO spacecraft are available.  The parallax from SOHO relative to the
center of earth is quite a bit greater than it is for any point on the
earth, isn't it?

The idea of providing geocentric transit times reminds me of a very old
George Carlin monologue.  His hippy weatherman character Al Sleet says,
"the temperature at the airport is 68 degrees, which is stupid, because I
don't know anybody who lives at the airport."

Tom