[AZ-Observing] Re: Venus Transit

  • From: Adam Taylor <psebyl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 12:19:59 -0700

I reached Fredericksen Meadow with an hour to spare.  I had the whole place to
myself, not a soul in sight.  Once setup, I just sat in the cool shade and
enjoyed the breeze blowing across the pines.  It was absolutely sublime! I
observed the ingress at 200x through my 4" refractor with Baader film.  Despite
the elevation and lack of urban pavement, the seeing was only so-so.  I was
concerned the seeing wouldn't allow the appearance of the aureole, but it was
easily seen.  The wind didn't affect my mount that much, and was actually
welcomed as it helped to keep the bugs away. I backed off to 50x to see the
entire Sun, the mediocre seeing was still apparent.  About an hour into the
transit the seeing significantly improved.  This is the view that will forever
be etched in my mind.  Of the many sunspots that my small telescope could
resolve, plus much surface granulation and the shaded solar limb was as clearly
defined as I've ever seen.  And with Venus floating above it all - just
perfect! Adam